Music Benchmark

In my initial meeting with the animation crew, we discussed the types of music scores that we could use and what would benefit the animation. The crew would like a dated music score at the beginning of the feature, when the rocket ship sets off. This will set the time period of the animation. However, the crew stressed that the animation is not to be heavily musically driven and that the atmosphere and the SFX must have a large presence within the mix. So I need to find a futuristic music score that can play underneath the full sound mix.

Looking at the game Fallout 4, the use of old era music in a futuristic game works incredibly well and is iconic to the franchise. The music resembles a mixture of old-time swing and and big band jazz. Me and the crew discussed the possibility of using a music score much like Fallout’s for the rocket station in Time Capsule. 

To comply with the targets set by the animation crew, I need to look at examples of futuristic underscores for Time Score. This can’t drive the narrative nor cloud any of the ambience or SFX, so I need to be careful when sourcing music scores. I believe an underscore that resembles Native American tradition will be suitable for the new planet in Time Capsule as it has the ability to represent a new world untouched.

Published by